TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    No more limit on # of interrogatories?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more limit on # of interrogatories? Login/Join 
posted
We're trying to update our forfeiture discovery and I just dusted off my seldom-used copy of the Rules of Civil Procedure. To my surprise, I no longer see a limit on the number of interrogatories. Am I missing it somewhere? Thanks for any help you can give one who does very little civil work...

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They very cleverly moved the interrogatory number limit from the interrogatory rule itself (where it made sense) to the rules concerning discovery control plans. Thus, if your case is controlled by a level 3 discovery control order, the court sets the maximum number of 'rogs. See Tex. R. Civ. P. 190.4. If the court doesn't specifically set its own cap, the default limits apply. See id. at (b). Thus, you're limited to 25 interrogatories (excluding interrogatories that ask only for identification or authentication of specific documents), with each discrete subpart of an interrogatory being considered a separate interrogatory. Tex. R. Civ. P. 190.2(c)(3), 190.3(b)(3).

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott, the info is very much appreciated!

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget TRCP 194, which allows for a Request for Disclosures, taking the place of about a dozen basic interrogatories. The Request for Disclosures does not count against your interrogatories.

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post