TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Forfeitures - Default Judgment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forfeitures - Default Judgment Login/Join 
posted
We filed a forfeiture based on a drug bust. No answer was filed. The person who we seized the property from was recently killed in an auto accident. I have filed a default judgment.

Question: Does deceased estate have an interest in the forfeiture?

(I don't think it does, but I'm looking for a sanity check on my reasoning.)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the estate's representative has the right to file an answer prior to your default, but is not due any additional notice other than what you provided to the defendant pre-death. Therefore, go ahead and take your default before an estate representative files an answer. Then, hang on to the property until the court loses plenary jurisdiction (30 days after the judgment) in case the estate representative decides to file a motion for new trial after receiving notice of the jdugment.

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post