TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Mailboxes in the County right-of-way
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mailboxes in the County right-of-way Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone tried to regulate mail boxes in the County right-of-way? If we allowed folks to build some brick and concrete pillar the size R2-D2 can we make'm tear it down just by telling them to do so?

Posts: 86 | Location: Floresville, TX USA | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a raised flower bed around mine on a FM road for two years...this summer, TxDOT gave me the option of moving it post haste, or having it, shall we say, removed!

Seems to me that if the construction interferes with the required use of the ROW, the county can move in.

Don't expect to be liked....I was pretty mad!

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an issue we are having also. Is there any authority to remove? If so, where is it? Also, is there a criminal penalty and where is that?

Posts: 45 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't checked this out, but I think there are federal rules regulating where and how mail boxes must be placed. Just a thought.

Posts: 31 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a federal law which prohibits planting flowers around the steel T-post that holds the mail box? BTW, I have a big ugly concrete ROW marker right in the middle of our property. I asked the TxDot man if I could pull it up or move it, and he went into full bore linear panic. My MIL has one in her yard as well. A year or so ago, I accidentally hit it, causing it to list at a 45 degree angle. TxDot has never seemed to pick up on that! Is there room for a new legal specialty here..."mail box law?"
Sic-em Russ!

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is why God invented motorgraders.

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The commissioners are considering a brochure to be given out when the septic permits are issued, covering this and other issues. However, with regard to those R2-D2 Smile pillars already erected, how have y'all been handling the demolition? Anyone come up with a way to explain it in terms of TXDOT regulation? Also, what's the county's liability if some kid smashes into one of these at 50 mph?

Have any of you found any solutions? Some of the mailboxes are 12 inches from the road!

[This message was edited by Etta Warman on 11-14-06 at .]

Posts: 85 | Location: Abilene TX | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might remind the mailbox owners that if a car hits the mailbox, the mailbox owner WILL be sued, and will likely be held liable for the wrongful and negligent injury caused to the poor person who he should reasonbly forsee couldn't stay on the road.

Posts: 8 | Location: Cleburne, Texas, USA | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post