TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    I know I'm not indispensible, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I know I'm not indispensible, but... Login/Join 
posted
For the first time in over 20 years, I plan to take 14 days away from Nolan County. I can be accessible by e-mail and cell phone - I think, but certainly will NOT be watching drunk videos and such like.

I am the only attorney in my office. What do the rest of you do? Who approves and files cases, deals with kids in detention, and deals with time sensitive stuff like TWC filings?

I'm about to get cold feet about leaving... Frown

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if its legal or the procedure he follows, but when the local CA here takes some time off, he arranges for either the DA's office or a local attorney to act in his stead. I assume he swears them in as a temporary deputy CA or something. You might give him a call and see what he does.

Posts: 71 | Location: Henderson, Texas | Registered: June 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not ask the court to appoint a special prosecutor to fill in for your vacation absence?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We might even have a dusty old example of a pro tem appointment and order laying around the office somewhere. Let me know if you need it, Lisa (if you go that route, that is -- I'm also interested to see what others do in that situation ...).

-Shannon

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you get to enjoy it!!!
Never been brave enough to leave it for that long before. Look out for the paper avalanches when you return.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm told that murders only happen when the DA leaves the county. But that may just be ADA lore.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always asked Mark to cover - and always feel guilty about it! THere is no budget for a special prosecutor to come in and check things. I'm wondering if the pro tem appointment Shannon referred to would dot the "i"s with asking the DA to cover - at least then I would feel more secure.

I know there will be an avalanche, but - - after 25 years, I need a break.

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Myth" a traditional story used to explain some phenomenon, custom, etc.

"Legend" a story or body of stories handed down for generations and popularly believed to have a historical basis

Lisa, you'll never be a legend if you don't ever leave so that people can talk about what happened while you were gone. Take your vacation AND tell them only to contact you in a REAL emergency...and leave someone in charge while you're gone. Have a nice vacation!

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post