TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Real Property Asset Forfeiture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Property Asset Forfeiture Login/Join 
posted
If you have a piece of real property that is located in two different counties, which county has jurisdiction for Chapter 59 asset forfeiture? Please don't say both.

Posts: 45 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't answer "both," but I'm not sure my answer of "either" will make you any happier. I ran in to this several years ago on a real property forfeiture with the majority of the property in a neighboring county that rejected the criminal case and did not want to pursue the forfeiture. I relied on Sec. 15.011 of the Civil Practice and Remedies Code. To avoid any complaint under CCP 59.04(b), I made sure that when the officers executed the seizure warrant they entered and posted notice of the seizure in this county first and I then filed the lis pendens in this county and then the neighboring county.

Venue and Jurisdiction were never raised.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post