TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Recouping Monies Spent on Mental Health for Individual
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recouping Monies Spent on Mental Health for Individual Login/Join 
posted
Poor counties have poor ways! My CC has "requested" that I send a bill to an individual that we had to take custody of and take to the Pavilion for mental health services. First, can I do this? Second, statute or other authority? Third, if they don't pay, are we excpected to sue like I would in my civil practice? I'm uneasy about that part, for various reasons.

Thanks in advance friends!!!

Posts: 8 | Location: Clarendon, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand your discomfort, but see Texas Health & Safety Code Sec. 571.018. Is this person indigent?

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The person is on SSI Disability I believe. It's a sticky situation either way. It appears that I can send a demand letter but there are really no teeth. Am I correct on this?

Posts: 8 | Location: Clarendon, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you can sue but if they are judgment-proof that seems like a waste of time and money. And there are no criminal penalties for non-payment. So unless you think they are hiding assets or are going to come into money or that someone else is also legally responsible for their care, that's probably a fair assessment.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post