TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Appellate    California trials are different
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California trials are different Login/Join 
posted
While they can go too far and, thereby, coerce verdicts, trial judges can make comments on the evidence to jurors????!!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/08/BAVK19K6QV.DTL

And, then, there is the Ninth Circuit.

Gotta love Texas.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get it. How can you "discuss evidence with the jury and encourage jurors to reach a verdict" but not "highlight[] the specific evidence the (judge) thought supported the guilty verdict"? Isn't that kind of the point of "discussing" evidence??

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I get very much about the Californian notion of justice, and this particular practice does seem (1) an impossible line to toe for the trial courts and (2) an easy one for the appellate courts to fudge so as to get the result they want as a 13th juror!

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post