TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Hot Check Administrative Fee
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot Check Administrative Fee Login/Join 
posted
CCP Art. 102.072 authorizes officers listed in Art. 103.003, which includes District and County Attorneys, to collect a $2.00 fee for each transaction relating to the collection of fines, fees, restitution, or other costs imposed by a court. Would this apply to hot check collections? Are any of you charging the $2.00 fee in addition to the other statutory amounts on hot checks?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of our restitution payments are in lieu of filing the case in court, so those payments are not "imposed by a court".

With regard to post-filing payments of restitution, we have not been collecting the extra $2. I had not read Article 102.072 until yesterday, when a prosecutor from another county pointed it out to me.

If our position changes, I will let you know.

Posts: 71 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bell County is collecting the $2 transaction fee with each visit to the Hot Check Department for payment.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew I started something when no one had seen that particular provision. Everyone I called had not seen it or was not collecting it. I found an old letter from our county's budget officer indicating the fee should go into the general fund as opposed to the check division. I didn't see any language on that though.

Posts: 73 | Location: Richmond, TX | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post