TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DNA by Business Records
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DNA by Business Records Login/Join 
posted
I'm prosecuting an Agg Sex Asslt case were daddy got his daughter pregnant. DNA of the child was sent to an independent lab. 99.99% granddaddy is daddy. We have the DNA as a business record. We're trying to save money by not have lab techs testify and use the business record. Cole v State refers to a DPS lab as a branch of law enforcement. I have found Caw v. State regarding an independent lab. Does anyone see a problem in going this way or is there anyone who has proceeded in this manner? Also, would there be a Daubert challenge?

Posts: 96 | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a former criminal defense attorney, I would suggest not saving money this way. Not only would I attack the last chain in your chain of custody if no one from the lab testifies, I would object to you "reading anything" into the results. In other words, without an expert to explain exactly what the results mean, I would object to the D.A. or any other non-expert explaining it to the jury. This is, assuming, you could get past a Daubert challenge to begin with.

Posts: 108 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the defense does not object 10 days prior to trial, you can file affidavits that would be admissible under the above provisions.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post