TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Fingerprint Experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fingerprint Experts Login/Join 
posted
Do any DA's Offices use their own investigators as fingerprint experts, for pen packs, prior judgments, etc, in trial?

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Collin County does for priors and such. In Dallas Co., the Sheriff had two deputies who were qualified to do that. That separation is a good thing, in my opinion. But, having those guys in your office can help you catch priors with problem prints earlier in the process.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use an investigator in our office and a detective from the SO. Our investigator takes a look at it and lets us know if we can make the match and takes care of cases where there is truly a question of identity, and then we have the detective available if there's a question about the separation of duties issue.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our office has used our own investigators to prove up pen packets, etc. through fingerprints since 1984.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an investigator certified to do prints. I use him as a backup in the event the SO witness is not available. Pen packs are pretty simple matters if the packet has a photo of the defendant along with the prints. I don't think using an investigator as a witness in this manner is subject to a built-in bias argument any more than an investigator for my office testifying on any other issue such as taking a confession, etc.

Posts: 14 | Location: Decatur, Texas, USA | Registered: January 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post