TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Minimum Term for Deferred Adjudication
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minimum Term for Deferred Adjudication Login/Join 
posted
Simple question: can you place a person, charged with a felony, on deferred adjudication for 1 year?

Art. 42.12, Sec.3 states that in a felony case the minimum length of community supervision is the same as the minimum term of imprisonment.

Art. 42.12, Sec.5 states that in a felony case, the community supervision may not exceed 10 years.

The way I read these, and also "The Perfect Plea", is that Sec.3 addresses straight probation and Sec.5 addresses deferred adjudication.

Any all input is welcome.

JAMIE

Posts: 19 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least we have done that in exceptional cases in the counties where I have prosecuted. I have not looked in a while, but as I recall our office tried to find a statutory provision re: minimum period of a deferred, and could not find anything. I have heard of (but not seen) a case where the defendant was placed on a short deferred, made total restitution within a couple of months and was granted "early release". Unlike "regular" probation, I do not think there is ANY minimum period for deferred adjudication.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no minimum time period for deferred adjudication supervision.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry L:
Unlike "regular" probation, I do not think there is ANY minimum period for deferred adjudication.

That is also correct.

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post