TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Is this ethical?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this ethical? Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
From Texas Lawyer's TexParte Blog:

March 01, 2010

Defense lawyer in Fort Hood shootings blogs

Those interested in closely following the prosecution of Major Nidal Malik Hasan, the U.S. Army psychiatrist who allegedly went on a shooting spree on Nov. 5, 2009, can go online. In late February, Hasan's defense counsel, Belton solo John Galligan, started posting blurbs--largely complaints about the prosecution's response to his requests--on his blog.

Compare: Texas Disciplinary Rule of Professional Conduct 3.07

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think not. But outside the conduct of Adam "Bulletproof" Repoza (I think that's his name.), has any conduct by a defense attorney - in the course of representing a defendant - ever been deemed unethical?

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not! It only serves to taint the proceedings and damage the integrity of the system. It is blatant, improper gamesmanship--all too frequent in higher profile cases. If the defense doesn't like what is happening, it should take its "complaints" in the first place to the proper authority: i.e., the trial court. Then, I believe, we have quite well-developed appellate system in which to seek redress!

But, also, under the ethics rules, isn't a party permitted to respond to improper comments--at least, to the extent of the invitation? Not that I'm suggesting it should be done.

[This message was edited by John A. Stride on 05-11-10 at .]

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post