TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    New Supreme Court Case on Fraudulent possession ID Info
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Supreme Court Case on Fraudulent possession ID Info Login/Join 
posted
Is there a Supreme Court case out there on this subject? That is all the info I got out of the defense attorney.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's interpreting the federal identity theft statute.

Here's a link.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:

Here's a http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/08-108.pdf.

Mr. Newell, how is it that you know something about every case, law, statute, rule of evidence or procedure in both the federal and state systems? Do you follow the individual circuits as well? More disturbingly, how come you're right 99 and 9/10ths % of the time?

Very impressive. You should be a judge. If Obama and the Senate would only put you and AndreaW up there with the Supremes...

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Gilleland:
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:

Here's a http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/08-108.pdf.

Mr. Newell, how is it that you know something about every case, law, statute, rule of evidence or procedure in both the federal and state systems? Do you follow the individual circuits as well? More disturbingly, how come you're right 99 and 9/10ths % of the time?

Very impressive. You should be a judge.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh, that's really kind of you, but that one was easy. And I'm certainly no Jay Johannes, David Curl, or Andrea Westerfeld.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they, sir, are no David Newell. And I doubt they could quote from both The Notorious Bettie Page AND Shaun of the Dead.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have any Texas wines that you would recommend?

posted Hide Post
Not really. But thanks for asking.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After finishing Flores-Figueroa, and yes it did take that long to read, I don't see an impact on our Texas statute. Does anyone see that different?

posted Hide Post
I did not see any different. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. I mean, they can always try to argue by analogy, but it looked like straight up statutory interpretation of a federal statute to me. But that's the new Supreme Court case on possession of Fraudulent ID.

[This message was edited by David Newell on 07-08-09 at .]

posted Hide Post
Let's put it this way, do you this SCOTUS would look to a Texas Penal Code case to figure out what Congress meant for a federal statute?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post