TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Representing county official in criminal case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Representing county official in criminal case Login/Join 
posted
We have a county official/employee who wants representation from our office (county attorney) in a criminal case. We have told him, based on art. 2.08, TCCP, that we cannot represent anyone in a criminal case. I have also sent him copies of court cases and AG opinions on this subject. He claims that he has been told of other counties where the county attorney's office represents county officials/employees in criminal matters. So my question is, do any of you represent any county officials/employees in criminal cases? If so, what is your authority to do so? Does anyone think it makes a difference whether or not the county attorney's office handles criminal prosecutions?

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short answer is no and no!

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk about a HUGE conflict...........

Never.

lisa

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago in a galaxy far away an assistant county attorney was representing a client (private practice) in a speeding case in another county. The fellow nearly lost his law license. I believe he had extensive suspensions of his license resulting from this representation.

So your hero is partially right, some idiots have done it, like those who wish to lose their law license. Eek

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it's always nice to have confirmation that you're right.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post