TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    previously parched, now soaked!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

previously parched, now soaked! Login/Join 
posted
Our county recently passed a proposition allowing the sale of beer and wine county-wide.
Previously a dry county. Does anyone have a County zoning ordinace prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages within X feet of a school etc. as authorized by 109.33 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code that you would be willing to share?
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike Hartman
Scurry County Attorney
scurryca@snydertex.com
325-573-7440

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up in Lubbock, I thought everyone had to drive inordinate distances to fetch adult beverages. While I don't have any forms (my current home was "wet" long before I arrived here), I can offer the prediction that more people traveling the windswept throughway of U.S. 84 will be stopping in Snyder.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps even those from Amarillo????

posted Hide Post
... if you know what/who I mean. Wink

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny!
would you think the restriction needs or is authorized to have a penal sanction attached to it i.e. a fine amount? If the restriction is in place prior to the license being granted, TABC and the County Judge will probably not sign off on it so it may be a moot point anyway.

posted Hide Post
If TABC is willing to play along (decline licenses for failing to meet regulatory distance requirements), that may be all the clout you need. Unless there is express statutory authorization (or clearly necessarily implicit authorization) for imposition of fines where Alcoholic Beverages Code distance and placement regulations are violated, I would be wary of traveling down that road.

posted Hide Post
I suppose I will try that approach, as I don't find specific authorization for the fine.
Tell those Plainview folks to stop and purchase as we need the revenue!

posted Hide Post
When the Tech Alums from the Metroplex go west to Lubbock for educational seminars, Snyder will present an alternative to Post or Sweetwater.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we may need to figure a way to build a beer barn over the state highway where you can purchase without turning off the cruise control.

posted Hide Post
but we would just as soon ya'all keep buying the booze here. We need the tax dollars! Of course, if you are planning to sip & drive, let the enforcement folks know, and we'll help Scurry County with the prosecution!

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post